Monday, July 2, 2012

Gansbaai MTB 45km ride report

On Friday Werner and I headed out to Gansbaai for the annual Gansbaai MTB Sterktrap. Werner is a regular at the event and suggested that I miss the 60km race and enter for the 45km. He promised me a tough ride, some of the most amazing scenery and a great trail. I got all of that and more.

The race registration went smoothly with the orginisers making it as easy as possible for entrants to register. Our disclaimer forms were already completed for us and we merely had to get sign the forms and take our number boards to complete the process.

The race snakes started on the 60km race at 9am and we followed 10 minutes later. This is one of the few races where the middle routes gets the biggest number of riders. I soon understood why this was the case. We left the start venue and headed straight for the hills. Soon we were climbing some jeep track laced with single track (about 25% of the single track seemed to be virgin trail for this year's event and Werner assured me that every year there are more single track being added). Going down was a heap of fun with technical jeep track and single track keeping us honest and providing some entertainment as well. I had a close call after the first major climb with the bolts on my stem loosening somehow and leaving me with a handlebar that was sliding from side to side. I decided to stop just off the singletrack to tighten the bolts.

Soon Werner and I was on the second big climb of the day. Werner was battling to shake the flu bug for a few weeks and I had a leisurly ride to the beacon on the second climb where I waited for him to catch up. We took the time to take a few snaps as well and I assured him that we could take it "easy" if he was not feeling great.

We stopped for a quick bite and water at the first water point. By this time we were warmed up nicely.
Werner is a bit of a singletrack junkie with technical skills that surpasses my own by a long distance, so while I was pulling away on the ups, he came shuttling past on the downs. He also had the distinction of being one of 3 riders that rode across a 30 cm wide weir. I didn't have the balls to attempt it and stood on while he made it look easy. I'll post the gopro footage once I've processed it.

The second water point was at the start of a 5km circular loop to the highest point in the Overberg. The views from the top was obscured by the clouds and rain, but this ride up was really rewarding. We made our way back to the water point and took on the final assult to the finish with us digging deep to keep the speed up to the finish.

With fantastic prizes up for grabs the registration hall wa packed afterwards. Riders all had smug faces and wide grins after a fantastic day on the trails. I would really have liked another go at this trail. I'm hoping that the volunteers that are cutting the trails and putting the event up would open it up to the public in the near future. It would be fantastic to add Gansbaai to the already growing list of trails in the Western Cape.

This rates as one of the best "small" races I've done in ages. It is so refreshing to see that you don't need a big budget to host an event like this. I loved the hand painted sign boards, the way the locals got behind the event with voluntering and sponsorship of prizes and how the riders in the Western Cape have embraced the event. A real success story so far...

PS: Corrie, if you are reading this, its not just a subtle hint. We would really like to come and bed in your single track over weekends :)





No comments:

Post a Comment