Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Absa Cape Epic 2017 - a non-rider's perspective on what it takes.

With quite a few friends participating again this year, I was not only following the professionals progress, but many of the mid-packers as well (and a few back-markers, if there is such a thing in a race as tough as this one).

One thing was clear, whether pro or not: There are a few very basic ingredients to be successful at this event that I have picked up on from friends who have been successful.
- Focus
This is required not only for the training, but for all other aspects of your life when you prepare for a race like this. For the non-pro's this is even more important, as you have to apply focus to your job, the demands of daily life, your health and training. All these areas requires focus for a successful Epic.
- Discipline
Now while this may sound like focus, its not. Discipline is your mind overriding your heart when you need to make a decision. Am I going to bed at 9, so that I can have a focussed training session at 5 tomorrow morning, or do I stay up and watch TV until 10:30? Do I grab a second beer after my race on Saturday or is 1 my limit? Learning to say "no" is a very good quality to have if you need to be focussed
- Support system
Many underestimate the value of good support, until it is absent. Preparing for something like an Epic is just much more manageable if you have buy-in and support from your employer, family, friends (and perhaps your banker) as there will be areas where others may need to pick up slack that you simply cannot get to.
- Flexibility
Now this is not the opposite of focus, but a complementary quality to work on. Things don't always work out as planned, and one needs to be able to adapt from time to time. A last minute meeting may can your evening gym session, but tomorrow during lunch you can make up the session.
- Mental strength
With most endurance events, your mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Being in a good mental space during the whole race will be impossible, and you will have to find ways to get yourself out of those deep dark holes your mind can throw you into from time to time to make it through.
- The right team mate
Now this is different things to different people. I have done events with fantastic team mates and less fantastic team mates. Now regardless of their own preparation, the team dynamic is very important. Simply getting along is not enough, but understanding when your partner is suffering, when they are feeling strong, when to let them take care of you, or when you take care of them... it boils down to an almost instinctive understanding of what makes them tick to make a success out of such an event. Like-minded goals (are you in it to finish, or are you going for a top-200?) and being able to complement each other all helps to get along.

I often wonder how my 2009 Epic would have turned out if I did not dislocate my shoulder and broke a few ribs less than 2 months before the big day. I do know that I had no idea back then about many of the characteristics mentioned above, so perhaps it was a blessing in disguise.

Maybe one day I will be able to test myself in what must surely be the ultimate test of focus, discipline, my support system, flexibility, mental strength and a team mate -to-be.

To all those who have that finisher's medal. Well done and know that you inspire and motivate so many around you to become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment