Thursday, July 4, 2013

BCBR Day 4 Saltery Bay to Sechelt

Yet another big travel day. We woke from a wonderful night sleep thanks to a R1500 hotel and took a taxi to the race village to drop our bags and go for breakfast. After breakfast Werner and I were of the lucky ones to take a sea taxi. It is a little commuter boat that seats 12 people and takes you across at double the speed of the ferry. The rest of the race had to make use of the ferry.

The ferry was late (it seems like they have inherited some Metrorail management) and the race start was moved back from 11am to 12 pm. Day 4 was always going to be the queen stage of the race. Our first point to point stage is also the longest stage with the most climbing. 
The start was a mass start from the ferry terminal. I took it relatively easy for as long as I was able and tried to conserve my legs. We went up and up along the power lines for about 10 km combining single track with gravel road. On one of the singletrack sections I was riding up a skinny (thin planked bridge) and lost my balance as I reached the top. I took a tumble and landed on my back. I was winded and stunned for a moment. Lucky to be alive and even luckier that I had my Camelbak on. My back was in pain, but nothing was broken, so I made my way to Aid Station1.


The next section was mostly single track and mostly up. By now my legs were shot and like the rest of the riders around me we walk a lot of the singletrack. Rocks, roots and risers all just became too much effort. When the track would smooth out a bit or level slightly we would mount our bikes and ride for no longer than a few 100 meters before dismounting again.

The second aid station was a welcome sight. I was in that zone where you become as efficient as possible, say little and just do what must be done. I did take a moment to pose with our pet gorilla at the aid station.

The first Enduro was tough and technical and I managed to stay on top of my bike throughout, all be it with little grace or style.

Another zigzag slog up singletrack got us to Enduro 2 about 6 km later. It started in true BC style with some steep descents over rocky drop offs with near impossible turns. Half way at a road crossing I caught up with the team that dropped into the Enduro 2 minutes ahead of me. They slickly moved off for me to continue my run, but by now I felt like I was riding a wild buffalo. I had little or no control over the bike, my fore arms were aching from braking and my legs were cramping from the prolonged standing position I adopted with my seatpost dropped. The Enduro ended after what felt like an eternity and we were on a combination of gravel and jeeptrack for the ride home. 

7h20 minutes in the saddle and it rates as one of my hardest days on a bike ever. Another night in a guest house instead of camping (its a survival decision) 

Lets see what tomorrow brings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment