Wednesday, July 3, 2013

BCBR Day 3 Powell River


Another big travel day. 60 minutes by bus, 2 hours by ferry and a 20 minute walk to the start. All the logistics meant a 1:40pm start. 

My batch rolled off by 2pm. It was hot and humid again, so I again took it easy over the first 15 km of gravel, logging and fire roads. Some signature BC singletrack got us to Aid Station 1 and from there on it was hard work riding up rooty and rocky singletrack. It felt like hours to get through the next 5 km. the first Enduro was off the charts. The sound of cow bells and people yelping and whistling combined with a dropped seatpost and some clear track made me do things I would usually only dream about. About 2/3rds in I caught traffic. I gave them a 2 minute lead before the start of the enduro, so I must have been flying. My legs were hurting, heart pounding and arms felt like breaking off at the shoulders,so I was grateful for the little respite and drop in speed. 

The next 10 km was more hard work. With roots and tight turns followed immediately by short steep risers breaking my momentum I ended up dismounting for quite a few of the ridable sections. My butt was being eaten alive by the roots and rocks. Each bump in the trail took a nibble at my sensitive bits. I've decided to name my bibshort of today after my Boerboel at home, Joey, as Joey likes to nibble at my butt when we play catch at home. 

Aid station 2 was like an oasis in a dessert of lush green rooted, rocky trails. I was just too thankful for a break and after a handful of pretzels and a few pieces of banana I was riding again. 

I decided that I had enough and simply put the hammer down for the next 10km. The Enduro was fun, but my body was tired,so I couldn't go FullGas even if I wanted to.  The last 5 km went by in a blur with a close call on the exit of the last singletrack. The rider ahead of me hit a cut off tree stump at handle bar height and went tumbling down a 3 meter drop. The marshall panicked and  ran straight up the trail right onto my line. I had to avoid marshall and tree stump and clipped the tree with my left hand. Somehow I managed to stay on top and after a few choice Afrikaans 'complements' And checking on the fallen rider ( he landed in some shrubs, so all was good)  I put the hammer down to the finish. 

We finished on the beach where we started earlier and tonight Rochelle and I was sleeping in a hotel. After dinner we took a taxi to our little Paradise for the night. A hot bath, a shave, repacking and finally sleep in an air conditioned room and a comfortable matress. Bliss, but at a price of about $150. Worth every penny though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment