Sunday, June 17, 2012

Klein Karoo Klassiek - Time trial stage

The rest of day 2 consisted of trying to get my cassette swopped onto my wife's rear wheel. The bike shop didn't have the tools to do the job, so I ended up simply setting up the trusty old Merida for another day in service. In the evening we ended up across the road at Uhuroe (spelling?) to watch the Springboks almost snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This was followed by a Spitbraai at the Spa and a few Irish coffees at the chalet before turning in for the night. 
Stage 3 was a time trial with a very impressive start shute and a reverse order start. I managed to get a fairly late start time despite not finishing day 2. I used the late start to good effect and proceeded to rope in the riders ahead of me while trying to keep the steam train from behind from hitting me. The first 14 kms was on good dirt roads and I tried to maximize the advantage the hard tail gave me before hitting the technical section in the reserve. The short, rough climbs would have been perfect terrain for the Zula, but I was simply trying to keep the pack of wolves behind me while catching a few riders in the process. I was on the edge for most of the technical section and if felt like I was slightly over the edge on some of the descents. Once on the dirt road Deon managed to catch me, then Melt was on my wheel, and thereafter Michelle steamed past. Another 2 riders came past and by now I was simply hanging on to defend my top 10 position for the stage. 
We made our way back to the Spa and I ended up doing the 40km time trial in 87 minutes. My lungs were burning and my heart was pounding through my ribcage, but I was happy. 
I always struggle mentally after a bad stage, but today I smashed that time trial to try and make amends for a bike that broke the day before. It felt really good to ride at fullgas for 87 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment