Saturday, June 16, 2012

Klein Karoo Klassiek ride report

With bags packed and bikes onboard we left for Calitzdorp Spa on Thursday for the Klein Karoo Klassiek 3 day stage race. We arived rather late on Thursday evening and after a fair nights sleep I lined up with a small field for the start of day 1. The sub zero temperatures at the start made for a modest pace and with 95 km of racing to come, there would be plenty of time to heat things up later. The loop through Calitzdorp to the Red Stone Hills and back through Rietfontein was scenic as ever and all too soon we were crossing the finish line at the Spa. With good legs and a solid effort I managed a 7th overall for the day. Day 2 The start was almost as chilly as the previous day, but with some day visitors the riding was much faster at the start. I settled in the second group and as we hit Rooiberg Pass I broke clear and managed to crest the 800 m climb in 40 minutes (20 minutes faster as my previous attempt, so I was very pleased with my effort) my heart rate was under control and I was catching some of the front group drop offs as we turned into a Game Reserve for a bit of the rough stuff. Soon the rugged Jeeptrack turned into river bed with rocks alternated by sand making for slow going. I managed to pass 2 riders and was now in 6th with no one in sight behind or in the front. Then desaster struck. I strpped my freewheel body and had to get off and walk. To compound mattets it seemed like everyone in front of us took the wrong turn somewhere as the reserve trail was very poorly marked. I had a bit of a walk with a fellow rider who also had wheel trouble and after more than 30 minutes of walking, some of the second group riders started to pass us. Another 2 hours of walking and 13 km later I joined the dirt road where my wife was waiting for me after receiving my S.O.S. Earlier in the day. Dean who walked the walk with me and I was very happy to get into the car to end the nightmare of technical issues, getting lost and doing a very long walk in mountainbike cleats. As things stand I will be riding tomorrow's time trail on Rochelle's Merida and I will be shopping for a new wheelset in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment