Sunday, August 12, 2012

Stormsriver Traverse Day 3

The storm Clouds gathered yesterday afternoon. I stood on my chalet balcony overlooking the ocean and you could see the weather sweeping in. By 9pm last night it was howling outside and by 3am this morning it sounded like the roof would blow off. I put the bad weather out of my mind as I got dressed and ready for today's stage and simply focussed on the job at hand. We started at 8am and I knew that with a gail force wind and driving rain my best bet would be to try and stick with the leading mixed teams. With trecherous decents and playing Russian Roulette with the unknown depth of each mud puddle we all had a few close shaves. If someone had to tap a foot down we would all sit up and make sure that the group was intact before we would hammer away again. I had flashbacks of a Sabie Xperience a few years back where pedalling up and down was equally difficult due to the mud grabbing at your wheels. On the final climb I elected to back off a bit to let the mixed teams that were racing for position race their own race. On the home stretch I caught up to their back wheels but didnt contest the sprint as none of my rivals over the last 3 days were anywhere close. I managed a 6 th position in the solo mens race today and was 3rd subvet on the stage. Today was as hard as yesterday, but I came in on 2h23 due to riding a smart race today.

No comments:

Post a Comment