Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sani2C - Stage 3

After the hard work done on day 2, the extra rest was most welcome. A 8:40 start meant some extra shut-eye and time to digest breakfast. I have given up on avoiding the carbs, as big race menus simply run on carbs. After 2 wheet-bix and some mieliepap I was ready to rock n roll. We went out fast and hit the dual tracks at speed. For once I could stick on Chris' wheel and we made it to the first water point in 1 hour. Unfortunately the big push over the first 22 km took its toll and the second 34 km was a real suffer fest. I had to dig really deep for Work To Be Done and Heart Rate Hill and after the second water point I was really just hanging on to the finish. Soon we were on the beach at Scottburgh making our way to the High School. The drag up the hill had me tasting blood again, but soon we crossed the finish line to celebrate 3 of the most spectacular days of mountain biking South Africa has to offer. I am commited to doing only one race next year (more on that in a later blog), but should I manage to schedule another one, there is simply no doubt which race I would pencil into my diary for 2013. Thanks to the Haw family for their hard work to put this race together for 4600 riders to enjoy, thanks to all the sponsors for making this dream a reality. To my partner, Chris: It was the best 3 days on the bike I have had, thanks for your patience and encouragement theoughout the race. To my fellow riders: it was a privilage to race against you for 270km and to succeed with you. Last but not least, to Rochelle, my wife: thsnk you for all your support and for being there at the start and the finish. Enjoying this moment with you made it all the more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment